Advanced Website Creator

Web development tools
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:09 am 
Hi,

I am interested in your software as I have a 20-odd page website built using tables that I want to update.

I have watched the video tutorial and see that when converting "index.html" an "index.css" file was created. Obviously I don't want 20+ CSS files so if I converted all HTML pages at the same time, would this program condense all CSS into one file relevant to all 20+ pages?

Cheers, Paul.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:19 am 
Site Admin

Hi Paul,
Table2CSS can create a single CSS for all HTML pages that are converted in one pass. In the [General] settings tab there is a checkbox labeled "Merge external CSS files". When this option is enabled, Table2CSS will generate a single CSS file for the pages that have been specified in the box labeled "Source files or URLs".

Best regards,
Vesselin

Last edited by vesselin on Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:24 am 
Great, thanks for the very prompt response.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:26 am 
One more thing, as there is already a CSS file referenced, can it merge that content into the new CSS file?

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:36 am 
As of now Table2CSS does not merge the generated CSS code with any existing CSS files. If you generate a single CSS file for all the pages, you can merge the two files manually. Just make sure that the newly generated CSS code is placed after the existing CSS rules in the merged file. CSS rules that are placed last override CSS rules that are placed first, so placing the newly generated CSS last will make sure that is has highest priority.

Best regards,
Vesselin

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:48 am 
Does the converter reference the existing CSS file to create the new HTML and CSS Files?

I.e. if my text has an class ID of <a class="strong heading">will the new HTML code that is generated by the converter keep this ID (i assume it would)? And if so, does it then reference the existing CSS file as part of the conversion and write these rules into the new CSS file, or would it just write this into the HTML without copying the rule from the old CSS file to the new?

I think what I'm trying to say is does this software literally just write new CSS for the table conversions only, or does it have the capacity to rewrite all CSS included in a site?

Thanks again for your help.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

Any class attributes like the one from your example are left unchanged. However at the same time Table2CSS keeps any existing embedded/external CSS styles are left unchanged, i.e. any existing CSS rules that are defined in
<style type="text/css">...</style>
or linked from another file with
<link href="...">

This means that your old rules will still function as long as they don't reference tables/cells directly, e.g.
td {color: red;}
will no longer function since there are no table cells in the converted files.
However the following rules will work correctly just like before the conversion:

.heading {color: red;}
.strong {font-size: 20px;}

If you are unsure about your web pages, I suggest using the trial version of Table2CSS, converting your web page and checking the result. If your web pages are larger than 25 KB, let me know and I will send you a custom trial without the filesize limitation.

Best regards,
Vesselin

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:09 pm 
Cool, that answers that question then!

Will download the trial and see for myself.

Thanks again for your time.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Great, feel free to post a message in the support forum in case you have any further questions or if you meet any problems. Alternatively you can send an email to support@table2css.com

Best regards,
Vesselin

Report this post