Advanced Website Creator

Web development tools
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:40 pm 
Hi,
you took out the old one. We have a new one. The new version is running fine. I bought it an I am using it.

One little nag: In a table cell with a background color, if you have 3 blocks/paragraphs of text, these 3 blocks are spread equally over the space of the cell. If there is enough space and you use "default" for vertical alignment, the text does not start right at the top, but the 3 blocks are sitting in the middle of the cell. That can look nice.

After the conversion I have
1. to determine the line height in a css file to avoid cramped text. OK I can do that.
2. the text starts directly at the top, and at the bottom of the former cell I have much space. That does not look so nice.

a) If I change the distance from top, the "cell" area is less high but so is the background color of the area. That is not what I want.
b) If I work with additional <br> and &nbsp; I can get the shape near to what I want the cell/area to look like, but that is dinosaur coding.
c) There is no cellpadding and cellspacing any more.

So what can I do to have the 3 text blocks to be spread equally over the former cell area?

Thanks
Mick

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mick,
Sorry for removing your old post. Last weekend we did an upgrade of our Linux server since it was long due and all forum posts for the last 1 day were zapped (they were not backed up yet). If any of the old issues remains, feel free to re-post them in this thread or open a new one.

Regarding the need to determine the line height in the text file - I think that the new release has taken care of that and the line height is not moved to the CSS file as long as you disable the setting "Collect dimension styles". Is this the case with your test page?

Regarding the issue that you mentioned with the 3 textblocks, can you please provide a test HTML file? Are you able to observe the problem with the test page that you mentioned in your previous post. If this is the case please let me know which browser are you using? If I remember correctly the page looked OK with IE8 and FF3.0

Best regards,
Vesselin

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:39 pm 

Hi Vesselin,

thanks for answering fast. the test file is still http://msmarketing-hellas.com/index.html .

At "Successful and affordable . . . " there was no line height determined at all. After conversion the text starts at the top and looks cramped. I have to detemine line heights to "normal" to make it look nice.

The problem with text blocks is at "On the web ..." until "...get the job done" in the middle. Here I could not do much, because it seems to be too much text to work with line heights. I changed a top position from 0 to 10. That gets the first line down by 10 pixels.

At "THAT'S MP3 ..." until "... cruise vessels" below, we have the same problem. >>>I put a <br> before the "THAT'S MP3" to get it down, but I don't think that is the solution we dream of. I don't know why, but I can't change the top position of the text, because when I do it in style 4, the background color goes down together with the text. That's not what I want.<<<

Well I found this one>>>!<<<: I had to change the background color from ts-8-1. to ts-8.

So I have to check on the background colors first and see that they are related to the table and not to the cell.

It is near to perfect now :) What I have understood is that there is no general aligning of areas when working without tables. Correct?

I did not uncheck "Collect dimension styles".
I am using IE8 and FF3.56 .

Thanks
Mick

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mick,
Thank you for providing the additional info. I will check this issue and if it cannot be worked around by setting different conversion options, we will release a corrected version of Table2CSS tomorrow. I will leave a message in this topic when a corrected version becomes available for download.

Best regards,
Vesselin

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:38 pm 

Vesselin,

thanks a lot. If you like you can leave it for after Christmas. For us here on Crete, Greece it's a working day until the evening anyway, but ...

EDIT: I found another little problem, Maybe you could help:
Why does the javascript menu (mouseover) not work? the images are all in the images folder, the javascript exist in the scripts folder, the path seems to be OK.

Friendly regards and thanks
Mick

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:50 am 
Site Admin

Hi Mick,
We have uploaded Table2CSS 3.4.1. It corrects the vertical alignment problem that you observed with your web page. You can download the new version from the customer area at www.table2css.com (the login form is at the bottom of the page).

In fact there were two separate problems - the first one with the incorrect line-height and the second with the incorrect vertical alignment.

After downloading v3.4.1, set "Force standards mode" to "No" in the [General] settings tab and then run the conversion process. It will fix all the vertical alignment issues that you reported yesterday.

Setting "Force standards mode" to No will take care of the line-height issue and the incorrect vertical alignment is taken care of in v3.4.1.

Regarding the issue with the JavaScript menu - I will check it and will let you know.

Best regards,
Vesselin

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:01 am 
Site Admin

Hi Mick,
I checked the issue with non-working mouseover and it is really easy to fix. Table2CSS copies only images from the HTML code - it is not able to find the images referenced from the JavaScript code. However the mouseover images are referenced only in the javascript code, so Table2CSS does not copy them to the destination directory.

So just copy the missing xxxxxxx_over.gif images into the destination images/ directory and the mouseover will work again. One such missing image is:

images/lkwebhostdesign_over.gif

The other mouseover images have similar names. Or if you don't want to lookup all of the mouseover images one by one, just copy all of the images from your original images/ directory into the destination images directory.

Best regards,
Vesselin

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:31 pm 

Hello Vesselin,

thank you very much and Best Wishes for Christmas Holidays.

Mick

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, Mick. Have a merry Christmas and best wishes for the new year.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:50 am 

Hi Vesselin,

I checked out the new version out of curiosity.

It performs perfectly in Firefox 3.5.6.

Unfortunately it does not in Internet Explorer 8 v.8.0.7600.16385, which covers about 85% of the market. Taking the http://msmusic-hellas.com/index.html file

a) Force standards mode = No
b) with Style type = Embedded
c) Collect inline styles = Table and misc
d) Collect position styles = not checked
e) Collect inline styles = checked :

1. The backgrounds of "Our Activities" and "Our Computer Programs" blocks are missing the lower background part.

2. The block below ("THAT'S MP3" until "cruise vessels") has a width problem.

3. The image below left with the 3 fish has a height problem with Opera v. 10.00.1750 (This is really not important!)

If you could have an eye on it after Christmas or in January or whenever.

Friendly regards

Mick

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:43 am 
Site Admin

Hi Mick,
I assume you mean http://msmarketing-hellas.com/index.html not http://msmusic-hellas.com/index.html

I will check it and will let you know later today how to workaround this issue.

Best regards,
Vesselin

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:31 pm 

Hi Vesselin,

yes you are right. It is http://msmarketing-hellas.com/index.html . I'll have to get used to the new URL. Sorry about that.

Regards
Mick

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mick,
I checked the cell layout issues with your web page when it is converted in Quirks mode. The conclusion is that it would be better to switch to Full standards mode. There is a good reason why quirks mode is called "quirks" - in this mode each browser renders CSS code in its own way so it is pretty difficult to get a "quirks" page to display the same in every browser. By the way, your original page looks different in IE and FF, but since it uses tables the browser shrinks/expands the table cells so the page looks more or less OK.

Anyway, the best approach is to ditch the "quirks" mode and to convert the page with "Force standards mode" set to Yes. The only remaining issue is the slightly different line height before and after the conversion.

Here is how to workaround this last issue.

1. Download Table2CSS 3.4.2 (it is available in the customer area after login).
2. Set the usual options like source URL, destination directory, layout type, "Collect dimension/position styles", etc.
3. Go to the [General] tab and set "Force standards mode" to "Yes".
4. Go to the [General] settings tab and remove the default value of "Default line height". By default it is 110, so just erase everything in that field and run the conversion.

After following the above steps the result looked identical to the original in FF3.0 and IE8.

Please let me know how it works for you.

Best regards,
Vesselin

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:17 pm 

Hi Vesselin,

it works. Functionality is great with all browsers. Thanks a lot!

Two little things which would make life easier:

1. If you could delete more than one file in "Files" without having to having to save the project and to restart the program would be nice.
2. If you could add more than one file in the Windows browser without having to add a whole directory and delete superfluous files one by one would also be nice.

Another one is more difficult (I hope you don't hate me for this :), its just a thought) :
When you have tables, let's say 3 or 4 images and descriptions with links etc. in 3 or 4 columns and 2 rows, you can just find the table or table system and copy and duplicate it by copy and paste, for to put in new images and descriptions (see http://ferienhaus-auf-kreta-mieten.com/index.html or http://carnival-in-rethymnon-crete-gree ... l_2009.htm)

After you have turned all tables into divs, copying of former table sections is only possible, if everything is inline. If you have separate stylesheets things go gaga, and you have to change names of "table style prefixes" and add new ones with new names to the stylesheet etc. Happy searching within 100 groups of the new css file, if you have many pages and did not group identical styles! (Thank you for that great grouping feature. It seems really to be better to have a table-stylesheet for each file.).

It would be nice to have the possibility (in the future) to leave some tables as tables where it makes sense (e.g. series of images which you have to expand all the time - when working with html, not php or aspnet and without a database). This could be done by determining what NOT to convert by marking part of the the code in a DOM viewer or text viewer and check a box.

Friendly regards
Mick

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mick,
It is good to know that the latest version is able to convert everything correctly. Thank you for the suggestions. I will save them in our TO DO list and we'll start implementing them in the next versions of Table2CSS. Still I would like to discuss shortly the suggestions that you made:

1. The ability to delete multiple files at once. It has been on the TO DO list for a long time, since I thought it is a good idea to have it. Still it has not been implemented so far, because you are the first user to actually ask this feature :-) Anyway it is not a big deal and we will implement it in the next release that should be out somewhere around the first week of of January.

2. The ability to add multiple files at once from the File dialog. Same as with your first suggestion - it will be added in the next version.

3. "After you have turned all tables into divs, copying of former table sections is only possible, if everything is inline."

I am not really sure that I understood correctly your third suggestion. By "everything is inline", do you mean the "display: inline" property of converted table cells? In fact the table cells are not really inline, since they have "float: left" and browsers ignore "display: inline" for floated elements. The "display: inline" is there just to workaround a bug in IE6 which otherwise would double the left margin of the floated elements (the so-called double-margin bug in IE6).

So can you please clarify your third suggestion in more detail?

4. Regarding the ability to leave some tables in their original, non-converted form - it has been on the TO DO for the long time. I agree that the DOM viewer is probably the best place to add this feature to. We already have the infrastructure for that feature, so we'll add it to the next release at the beginning of January.

Best regards,
Vesselin

Report this post