Advanced Website Creator

Web development tools
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:41 am 
I'm testing out your trial version of Table2CSS 3.10.3. I'm using a 20KB html file.

After the process I get the error message:

Following errors occurred during conversion: Failed to save the result into "D:/public-html/colossians/"

Any ideas would be welcomed. I was hoping this was the answer to my dreams!

Peter

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:45 am 

I posted the above message as a Guest. I have since registered.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:55 am 
Site Admin

Hello Peter,
Usually it happens if the output directory doesn't exist. Can you please check if D:/public-html/colossians/ already exists before pressing the CONVERT button?

In case the problem persists, even though the output directory exists, please send the URL you try to convert to support@table2css.com and I will check why it is causing this problem. In case you are trying to convert a local web page, you can just zip it and send the archive.

Regards,
Vesselin

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:06 am 

Yes, the output folder exists; its the same as the input folder. Its a local copy of a web page.

The dialog box to set the output folder is not clear whether it needs a trailing slash or not.

I'm sending the file via email.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Peter

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:03 am 
Site Admin

Hello Peter,
I will duplicate my reply to your email here.

Thank you for providing the sample page. I tried converting the web page and it did convert smoothly without any visible problems.

However I just thought that one possible problem is that you are specifying the same folder for both input and output. Can you please specify a different output folder - it would be best if you use for output a completely empty folder (possibly a new folder just created before running the conversion process). Please try it and let me know if the problem still exists.

Regards,
Vesselin

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:04 am 
Thanks Vesselin,

Yes, the separate output folder is essential. The program needs the standard Windows "file already exists" so a new filename can be given.

Unfortunately, on my results there are many "visible problems."

It has not recognized the euro symbol €

It has commented out image sources.

It has failed to pickup the line breaks <br> in the chapter list and failed to pick up <font class=***>

It has failed to pick up paragraph breaks such as <br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

I'm hoping these are simply the result of making the wrong choices in the dialog boxes before conversion.

I'm forwarding the resulting html file to you, as I know you'll want to view the source.

Many thanks for your interest.

Peter

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:57 am 
Site Admin

Hi Peter,
Indeed the resulting files that you sent me look quite different from what Table2CSS generates on my test computer. In my case when I convert the file it looks identical to the original one (before the conversion) that you sent me.

I will need to take a more detailed look at your files in order to see how to fix this issue. So I will email you again in about an hour or so.

Regards,
Vesselin

Last edited by vesselin on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:34 am 
Site Admin

Hello Peter,
OK, I took a more detailed look at this problem and I would say that most likely it is some kind of incompatibility between Table2CSS and a component that is installed on your computer. Can you please let me know the exact version of Internet Explorer that you have installed on your computer? You can see it by starting Internet Explorer and then going to Help / About Internet Explorer. There is a line which reads something like "Version: ......". What version does it show on your computer?

Regards,
Vesselin

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:41 am 
Thanks, Vessein,

Actually I was viewing it in Firefox 3.6.13, the browser I use constantly.

It looks much the same in Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.

Thank you for looking into this.

Peter

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:14 am 
Site Admin

Hi Peter,
Thank you for providing all this information. While converting pages Table2CSS uses some components of Internet Explorer even if you have a different default browser. It looks like there is some minor incompatibility between your version of Internet Explorer and Table2CSS. This incompatibility is causing all these problems in the resulting page.

I have IE8 too but it is a slightly different version and it doesn't show these conversion problems. That is I will need some time to install the same version of IE8 on a separate computer. I will investigate and possibly fix this issue but it will take me a few hours to do that. I will update you again on my findings in a few hours.

Regards,
Vesselin

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Peter,
I tried running Table2CSS in Windows 7 with IE 8.0.7600, but the resulting file looked pretty much like the original, unlike the one that Table2CSS results on your computer. So I am still unable to reproduce the problems that you encountered.

However while looking at the HTML code I noticed that it actually lacks the root <html> tag.

Right now the HTML code of your page looks like this:

Quote:
<DOCTYPE...>
<head>
</head>
<body>
</body>

Try adding the missing HTML tag:

Quote:
<DOCTYPE...>
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

After that please try converting the page and let me know if it makes a difference in your case.

Regards,
Vesselin

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:51 pm 

Thank you so much for your detective work, Vesselin. It's amazing how forgiving the old html is! The original displays correctly without that tag. I've added the missing tag <html> and we're now far closer to matching the original.

I see only two problems remaining:

1. The book picture has been put in a block element that is much wider than the table cell width of 210px, and this is squeezing the block of type starting with the orange heading "Living and growing..."

2. In the sidebar, the program has picked up the "Other Countries" block at the bottom of the original and placed it near the top under the first "Other Countries" block. That one is a real mystery!

Thanks for your help. I'm very impressed.

Peter

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:49 am 
Site Admin

Hi Peter,
1. Regarding the position of the book image and its description on the right - this is how the page is displayed in Internet Explorer. If you try opening your original page in IE8 you will notice that IE8 will squeeze the description on the right. I see that you have specified the widths of the book and description cells, but somehow IE8 ignores these widths uses its own widths.
Basically Table2CSS is not a full-fledged web browser so it relies on IE8 for some of the work. That is why if something is broken in IE, it will be broken in Table2CSS too. If you manage to change your original page so that it will display correctly in IE8, then Table2CSS will follow too and the converted page will be correct.

2. The incorrect placement of the second "Other countries" block. There are some HTML errors which just like with the missing <html> tag caused problems. Specifically in this case there were two <form> tags which lacked the closing </form> tags and it caused problems with Table2CSS. I will email you a corrected version of your original page with the missing </form> tags added, so you will be able to see yourself the difference.

I would recommend using an HTML validation tool, e.g. http://validator.w3.org to check for problems in your original page and fix them before running a page through Table2CSS. It would probably solve many of the issues that you observed with your page.

Regards,
Vesselin

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:40 am 

Thanks, Vesselin, for all your help. Yes, a validator would be a good first step.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:57 pm 

Vesselin,

I've run that page through again and the result is as it should be.

However, I'm still getting the error message that the result was not be saved in the specified directory but would I like to view the result. Which of course I answer "yes".

The original .html file is in a directory /colossians. The output file I specified to go in a directory named /colossians-css, which exists and is empty.

Then when I look in Windows Explorer, it has saved the .html and .css files, but into a subdirectory of /colossians-css which it has created named /colossians.

Why do I get the error message and why doesn't it put the result where I have specified?

Thanks,
Peter

Report this post