Advanced Website Creator

Web development tools
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Interested for my site
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:02 pm 

We're a small part time home business with a site that we had designed last summer by a guy, to look more "professional" and it's pretty nice:
http://www.ColoradoProcessServers.net

But I've been having a heck of a time changing it when I want to, and found out that part of the reason is that he did it with tables.

So I was wondering how easy it is to convert it away from tables, without trashing it in the process. We need it up and running all the time, or we lose money.

So my first question is, can this software work for a Wordpress site like this? It's hosted at HostGator and uses some php too.

And my second question is, how do I test it without trashing the site irrecoverably if it fails? It's not like I can backup this thing, because of the Wordpress and the HostGator esoteric entanglement.

And the trial version - if this works, I'd be HAPPY to pay for it, but if it doesn't, no way. Is the trial version fully functional?

And

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:49 am 
Site Admin

Hello Melissa,

1. Can this software work for a Wordpress site?

Generally speaking, Table2CSS can convert Wordpress templates, provided that you enable the option "Preserve script tags" when converting your web templates.

I tried converting the index page of your website with the latest version of Table2CSS (4.0.1) and the result looks OK. However please keep in mind that I tried it with the HTML page which is accessible at
http://www.ColoradoProcessServers.net
and not with the Wordpress template which is used by your website (obviously because I don't have access to the Wordpress template).

2. How do I test it without trashing the site irrecoverably if it fails?

In most cases testing of such changes is done on a local computer (usually your desktop PC). You download the website files and database to your local computer, setup a working environment for it (apache+php+mysql) and then make the changes locally on your computer. Then once everything has been tested and works correctly, you upload all the website files and/or database back to the server.

3. It's not like I can backup this thing, because of the Wordpress and the HostGator esoteric entanglement.

I remember working with sites hosted on Hostgator in the past and there were no real problems backing up the website files and the database. However in my case these were sites hosted on VPS servers, so your mileage may vary depending on the type of Hostgator account that you use.

You can contact the Hostgator support and ask them how to backup your website files and database.

4. Is the trial version fully functional?

As of version 4.0.1 it is limited to 30 runs and additionally it does not convert pages larger than 25 KB (this is just the HTML size, images, external scripts, etc are not affecting this limit). I tested your index page with the trial version and it was below 25 KB, so it should be OK in that respect. In case you want to test it with larger pages, let us know and we'll provide you with a trial version which does not have the 25 KB limit.

Best regards,
Vesselin

Report this post