Advanced Website Creator

Web development tools
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Few Features Perhaps?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:04 pm 

Give the User a selection between doing a single file at a time or a complete folder of all HTML files...

Does the tool know if there is div tags in the page already? If there is, can you ensure that they aren't messed with, just the new div tags are worked around the previous ones.

Does the tool know if the file already has a css relationship with the page being converted, will it just overlook it and create it's OWN css or will it mix them both up? There is a reason I ask this, it's because some people do get lazy and mix a quick table with div tags... (Saying I'm one of them people :P)

On the output, if I pick another folder other than the Source folder, can you make the tool carry over the images if the page has it to the new Output folder and link accordingly and relative to siteroot that way?

How about this also, creating this tool with what we call "Jobs" or "Profiles." Where we can come back and pull up a job and redo it if needed... xml based profiles in a directory under the \\Max\Program Files\Table2CSS\Profiles-Jobs\

Perhaps work on the UI a bit more? 8)

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:38 am 
Site Admin

technofanatic wrote:
Give the User a selection between doing a single file at a time or a complete folder of all HTML files...

Does the tool know if there is div tags in the page already? If there is, can you ensure that they aren't messed with, just the new div tags are worked around the previous ones.

Does the tool know if the file already has a css relationship with the page being converted, will it just overlook it and create it's OWN css or will it mix them both up? There is a reason I ask this, it's because some people do get lazy and mix a quick table with div tags... (Saying I'm one of them people :P)

On the output, if I pick another folder other than the Source folder, can you make the tool carry over the images if the page has it to the new Output folder and link accordingly and relative to siteroot that way?

How about this also, creating this tool with what we call "Jobs" or "Profiles." Where we can come back and pull up a job and redo it if needed... xml based profiles in a directory under the \\Max\Program Files\Table2CSS\Profiles-Jobs\

Perhaps work on the UI a bit more? 8)

Hi,
I will summarize the results from our discussion via email and IM:

1. Support for conversion of multiple files is already on the TO DO list most likely it will be added in the next version to be released.

2. Messing with existing DIV tags:
Thank you for pointing my attention to the issues while converting some files. I think that these issues are not directly related to messing with existing DIV elements. In one case the issue is related to problems with Google adsense code. I will check this in more detail and the next release should have this fixed.

3. Mixing existing CSS rules with the new rules being created:
The program creates its own .css file containing new definitions, however existing CSS rules are taken into account.

4. Carrying other data files from the siteroot when converting some file/URL:
It is generally a good idea, however more thought should be put into this. Generally it is not completely clear what should be a part of the siteroot. For example if one converts some .html file and that html file references
../../../images/some_image.gif
then should that some_image.gif be considered a part of the siteroot or not? And if the directory structure is to be preserved then where should we place that some_image.gif ?

5. Support for jobs/profiles/projects (or whatever one calls them). I will add this as a feature request to the request/bug tracker.

Once again many thanks for your great suggestions!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:13 am 

Quote:
2. Messing with existing DIV tags:
Thank you for pointing my attention to the issues while converting some files. I think that these issues are not directly related to messing with existing DIV elements. In one case the issue is related to problems with Google adsense code. I will check this in more detail and the next release should have this fixed.

I think a situation of this should occur, where you can just simply have the program copy over JavaScript to the new file, rather than trying to convert it and etc... So if it sees JavaScript code just have it ignore the code and simply cp it too the new html file.

Quote:
3. Mixing existing CSS rules with the new rules being created:
The program creates its own .css file containing new definitions, however existing CSS rules are taken into account.

I think on this portion here, where I discussed with you, having the program build a new site root in the output folder to /images /img/ /style/ or any sort of image (even .ico) and css files.

Quote:
4. Carrying other data files from the siteroot when converting some file/URL:
It is generally a good idea, however more thought should be put into this. Generally it is not completely clear what should be a part of the siteroot. For example if one converts some .html file and that html file references
../../../images/some_image.gif
then should that some_image.gif be considered a part of the siteroot or not? And if the directory structure is to be preserved then where should we place that some_image.gif ?

Well the program should build the images/ folder and place it in there accordingly. So I would have options, where you can check off copy all images folder, please define your images folder if in another level off the siteroot:

i.e. cp -Rf /var/www/html/images/ /home/unixname/public_html/images/ which if i on Windows it'll be on the folder specified for output.

Follow me? Basically copy any and all images it finds in the /html/ site root folder and if the user defined one or multiple image folders to cp over. Where it'll recursively grab all subfolders as well, cause some guys may have banners in their images/ folders.

Quote:
5. Support for jobs/profiles/projects (or whatever one calls them). I will add this as a feature request to the request/bug tracker.

Once again many thanks for your great suggestions!

You are welcome, and it's great to help make this product grow. :)

Report this post